Monday, November 26, 2012
Monday, April 23, 2012
I am working in collaboration with our local Hillel and PassionWorks artists, on some Challah covers for show and sale May 5th. Students worked with PassionWorks artists to create colorful, unique challah covers, and then they were turned over to me to enhance with stitching and to finish up. Each piece is one of a kind. They all measure approximately 22” x 22”, so they can cover a lot of challah.
Here is the first one that I’ve finished.
You can see how pretty the colors are. Each piece is different, but all are colorful and fun. I stitched the outlines using Kreinik gold machine embroidery thread.
You can see the detail here. Once this was done, I had to figure out how to finish the edges of the burlap.
Here is a picture of basting stitches I put in as a sewing guide for the stay stitch and decorative cording.
I zigzagged over the basting stitch to keep the burlap from unravelling.
Then I zigzagged some Kreinik #16 braid over the zigzags, to add extra sparkle. You can see where I also did that on the edge of the painting.
Here’s the finished piece. I’m really happy with how it turned out.
Now to do this at least 28 more times!
Monday, February 6, 2012
I have been working on a few different things, mostly involving painted paper or paint on canvas or sometimes a little of both. Ironically some of these experiments were to get away from the fiddliness of working with patchwork. Gluing is still a lot faster than sewing. :)
Summer Carnival, painted paper on canvas. I use Golden gel medium to attach the paper cutouts to the canvas.
Detail. Here you can see the different mark making tools I use to make the painted paper. These include Print Gocco (the fish), linoleum prints (the red dots in the upper left area are a frog), and carved stamps (the white star-like forms and the white stars).
This is one of those things where I got a crazy idea to cut a bunch of lotus stencils out of a sheet of painted paper. I am unsure whether this is in process or it is complete.
This technique was so cool that I decided to try it on a larger scale. My fingers weren’t too happy with me, but it was worth the effort.
Detail, you can see the dots from the sequin waste I used as a stencil and the detail of the red koi shapes I painted onto the original paper. This piece is definitely still in process. Stay tuned for updates.
Into the Void Acrylic on canvas with graphite drawings added. I am unsure whether this is complete or whether I want to go back into it with some india ink or liquid acrylic to emphasize the lines.
A detail showing the graphite drawing in more detail. I like the way the paint washes blur the lines of the drawing.
The texture in this piece comes from some rice paper that I had initially adhered to the canvas, again using the Golden gel medium.
And today, after a several week hiatus due to mom duties (hockey and school), I was able to get back into the studio and begin a new painting.
In the Between, acrylic on canvas, and still very much in process, though it was nice to get back into the studio and just play with paint and color.
Thursday, December 15, 2011
I have this wonderful Fabriano journal filled with colored paper. It’s around 8” x 6” and is perfect for quick studies like this one.
I also worked on this large piece from my 14” x 17” Canson XL Mixed Media pad.
I’m really enjoying blending the colors on these pieces.
It’s nice to have such a large space to work in, and since I am doing these to play I am not stressing over how realistic the finished image is. It’s letting me explore different ways of laying down the color and apply the layers.
There’s still time if you want to join us!
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
I just love the handles on these old kitchen utensils. From the top: potato masher, spatula and sieve. Or as I call them , Papa Bear, Mama Bear and Baby Bear. Image size 12” x 15”
Detail. I used mostly Prismacolor pencils, with a few Derwent Inktense and Graphitint pencils for the details. The background is Grumbacher Acrylic in Payne’s Gray and Martha Stewart craft paint in Cloud, satin finish.
I promised a peek at the really big drawing.
This is on Strathmore 400 series drawing paper, and measures approximately 60” x 36”. I have to stand on a stool to reach the top of the drawing. I’m using graphite sticks in 3B and 6B. It started with just random marks but has evolved into this image. The working title is “Eclipse”.
See you tomorrow!
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Today I chose to go a little larger and also on a white background. It was more difficult to build up a good layer of color as the texture of this paper was very defined. I also was challenged by recreating the metal of the beads and buttons on this necklace. I’m pleased with how the turquoise bead turned out as well as the black bead in the lower right corner. Overall the drawing worked for me. I do think that I may pre-color the paper before attempting another drawing on it, at least if I go for another color drawing.
Monday, December 12, 2011
Yes, I did draw on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (also known as Days Nine, Ten and Eleven) I just haven’t scanned them yet. I need to find a more effective way to draw over the weekends.
I picked up some darker red pencils on Friday (I had to take my daughter to the airport, and since we were near the art supply store anyway….), so this morning I took them out for a test run.
I tried to avoid using the black pencil for the black beads. I think it turned out well. I enjoyed drawing the big cinnabar bead on the upper right.
Another red handle. Eventually I will draw the entire tool, but for right now I am enjoying the weathered look of these old utensils.
Something else is literally on the drawing board, I will post pictures of it when I post days 9, 10 and 11. Stay tuned!