It seems like September has only begun and here it is September 16th already. I have been working on several deadlines, one of which is the upcoming High Fiber show at the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles. No work will be over $500, and I am planning on sending 6 pieces. The piece above is one of them, based on the photo I took at the Franklin Park Conservatory. You can see the actual photo in my blog banner.
I started the piece by cutting some Pellon to approximately 16” x 20” and freehand drawing the log, the spiral and the leaf onto it. I then appliqued the parts onto a piece of hand-dyed fabric I made over the summer. The tree is made from the Northcott stone collection, as is the spiral. The leaf is composed of African brocade and twill that I painted with Setacolour paints. The splotchy effect on that fabric was made by sprinkling kosher salt onto the piece while it was still wet.
I did freemotion zigzag over satin cording for the vines in the background, and made zigzag cording with strips of hand-dyed fabric for the vines in the foreground. I also used freemotion zigzag to add details to the log and the leaves. The background was just random freemotion quilting, I am not an old hand at the “stipple” look yet.
Here is a detail of the log, with a better view of the bark details and the machine quilting. I am really pleased with how this piece turned out, and excited to begin the next to last piece, which will be three dimensional waterlilies on another piece of hand-dyed twill. But first I have to finish Garden Party I (the green water towers from August) for the local Women in Appalachia show deadline.
When it rains, it pours.