Over the past week I’ve managed to put in some good studio time. Some of the work has been for specific shows, while others have been play/spec.
First, the play. I have a set of Liquitex Basics 22ml acrylics, and I’ve been practicing my painting:
Cow Bird in process. This painting is based on my quilt of a similar cow and bird couple. Right now I’m still building the layers of color. I love how the table underneath is its own piece of art with all the layers of old paint on it.
Bunny Pierrot II, one of three rabbit pierrot paintings I’m planning. This one will be on the far right. The full piece will be 8” x 24” when finished.
I also committed to sending a shoe piece to a show at Ten Women Gallery, so I applied some of my painting practice to this piece, still in process:
I drew the shoes using a regular #2 pencil, then began layering in colors. The fish are a silkscreen I made based on a stamp I carved several years ago. This piece is 10” x 10”.
And finally, I mixed the media up in this piece for the Art Quilt Network Fire and Ice show at Galleria Evangelia:
So far it’s untitled. It’s based on the bead drawings I did last month, and I used hand painted paper which has been screened with the fish print. I sewed fabric onto that to fill out the image. It measures approximately 15” x 15”.
Detail of the painted paper and fabrics. I really like how this piece came together and want to play more with the painted paper concept. I would love to be able to get such painterly colors and crisp images on fabric. Maybe Jane Dunnewold’s new book Art Cloth: A Guide to Surface Design for Fabric will have some good ideas. We do have several dry days coming up and there’s nothing like painting in the yard. :)
Tomorrow I will share images from my work for The Sketchbook Project.