Carl has been sitting in the studio for maybe 7 months, waiting for me to get brave enough to give him eyes and legs. After my success with Tiki's eyes (which will have to wait for another post) I decided it was time for a gator.
Here he is in all his glory.
Here I am, thrilled as all get out that the eyes worked even better than I'd thought (I was planning on pancake eyes lying on his face, but they wanted to stand up, which is what I'd originally intended and which I didn't think I'd be able to pull off).
And look at the delicious little alligator piggies. I had no idea how to do these until after I'd finished his eyes. Of course having made an elinor peace bailey pattern about seven years ago did help (the chicken shaman has two part legs and I used that concept). They are so cute. They are so gargoyle-y and ogre-y and I think I may need a bigger box (of stuffing).
And finally, a view from above, to show off the lovely soft sculptured nose. His face is made from the most yummy dupioni silk I bought from Becky at St Theresa Textile Trove, and many of the fabrics that make up his body also came from there. His legs are my hand-dyed twill.
I am so happy. Now I think the dragon can be finished! :)