Yesterday was a studio day. Lots and lots of sewing ensued. Even a little wackiness (Lilo and Stitch on the DVD player, earlier McCartney on the turntable, some Shiva Nata in between to loosen up and calm down).
Butter and Egg Road, still in process, the photo print and the fence sewn in place.
A view of the printed out journal page, embellished with machine embroidery.
Detail of the stitching on the image. I outline stitched the main images once the piece was sewn to the quilt base with satin stitch.
The apron sewn down and the piece is complete with the exception of the sleeve and label. I really like how it turned out. When I was in college, my watercolor instructor told me “you really like to work high key”. I am embarrassed to admit, I didn’t know what she meant at the time, but I can see that in this piece. It’s very pale, with just the hints of reds in the apron and hollyhocks to make it pop. No embellishment needed.
And now on to the next piece:
“Day of the Cichlid”, machine embroidery with bobbin drawing, and reverse applique. The piece at the bottom is auditioning. When it is complete, it will also have cutouts like the top sections.
Detail of the bobbin drawing. I used crochet thread for those passages. Looks like this will be another high key piece.
Back to work, I have circles to cut out!