Thursday, December 4, 2008

If the Moon Doesn't Come to You


You go to the moon!

Sometimes the most fun pieces come from simply cleaning in the studio. I came across these white buttons while straightening up the mess ("creative chaos" ) from a previous project, and I wanted to do something that was a bit more button than beady. This started on a 5" square piece of Peltex (heavy duty interfacing available at JoAnn fabrics with the regular Pellon interfacing) that I covered in some sort of batik cotton. These are perfect projects for those small pieces of fabric that may not fit in any other project, and for something special that you know is beneath the surface, and can function as an underpainting does in traditional oil painting. I also found that the Peltex does not shrink as much with heavy beading as the 30 or 40 weight Pellon does, an important consideration if you are making something to fit in a specific space. I found this out the hard way, when doing my shrine for the Anticraft book.

We missed out on the alignment of the moon, Jupiter and Venus the other night because it was snowing and overcast. I will just have to make do with this for now.

4 comments:

Treasure Ann said...

So beautiful, you are truly a great artist on all levels. I love your work, and it really inspires me to do something different in my crafting.

Just beautiful!!!

Andi Stern said...

You're making me blush. :) Thank you!

LadyLinoleum said...

That is just gorgeous!

Andi Stern said...

Thank you! :D